Romanian Bayonet Frogs

Romanian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

FirearmFrank

Romanian Bayonet Frogs

Post by FirearmFrank »

Just got these Romanian Frogs in. Three different shades for the Nylon Frogs and another Leather Marked 1970.
Are there any other colored Nylon Frogs? Also still need to pick up a green leather frog. i got the matching wrist strap.

Pics below.
RomanianFrogs.jpg
Firearm Collector / Builder. AK Bayonet Collector
Hungarian AMD65, Converted Saiga .223, Plum Bulgarian AK74, Yugo M70

WTB: Lithuanian Camo AK Bayonet Frog, Black Egyptian Maadi Bayonet
Mr. B.

Re: Romanian Bayonet Frogs

Post by Mr. B. »

I have a Romanian AKM Type I bayonet in my collection that is unusual due to it's blue leather hanger. This bayonet and hanger came from Iraq where it was supposedly found at an air base. The blue hanger and others like it were thought to be from a specific Iraqi unit,( I.E. air force or air base security). This has never been documented. After seeing the attached picture on another forum today, I now suspect that the blue hanger is originally from Romania. Again perhaps from a special branch or unit. Can anyone Identify the uniform in the picture? Mike
Blue Romy hanger.jpg
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is a better picture against a red background to emphasize the blue color. Mike
IMG_0181.JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

That uniform is for the Militia or Police Units. They also have blue mag pouches, rucksacks, etc...

MDI
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I have since been informed that the collar tabs on the coat are for a basic, general duty, Romanian air force soldier. Winter hat and coat are also Romanian air force. Probably basic recruit on guard or security duty. Perhaps someone could identify the time period by the belt buckle? Mike
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

Check out this link http://forums.cybernations.net/index.ph ... -and-news/

Clearly id'ed as "Member of the miliție regale, guarding a checkpoint in Dobrogea"

Gets confusing because Air Force and Militie Regale both used blue uniforms and trim.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thanks! That pretty much nails it down. Appreciate the excellent Information and link. Real second hand stuff. That also helps explain the condition of the coat missing a button, the missing hat insignia, (you can see where it was), and the worn out, damaged scabbard, hanger and insulator. Mike