Czech VZ58 Bayonets with Vinyl NBC Scabbards

Czech VZ58 Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Czech VZ58 Bayonets with Vinyl NBC Scabbards

Post by Mr. B. »

Recently there has been some discussion about these vinyl bayonet scabbards They were created for use during possible NBC warfare during the Cold War period in the 1970's to replace the standard leather scabbards. The leather items absorbed and retained Nuclear, Biological and Chemical agents that were a health hazard, The Czechs also created matching vinyl magazine pouches and other non-porous equipment as well. The bayonet scabbards and single magazine pouches came in both a light grey and medium green color. I have a green scabbard and have seen a grey plus pictures of both colors in several references. Recently someone thought that they also made them in brown. Anyone have any additional pictures or information? Mike
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
porterkids

Re: Czech VZ58 Bayonets with Vinyl NBC Scabbards

Post by porterkids »

No follow up information on the alleged brown scabbard. A dealer and member of a Facebook group (Lee Cousens) in the UK made the statement and was adamant that there are brown ones. My multiple requests for additional information have gone unanswered.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I just noticed that something was missing here. The Czech VZ58 vinyl NBC scabbards came in two different colors. Green seems to be most common color, but there were also grey ones made. The picture bellow shows both colors and a standard natural tan scabbard for comparison. Mike
Scan_20180914 (2).png
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Have had two or three of the green ones over the years but always seem to miss the gray ones, get outbid, etc.

Nice set.

Martin
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Unfortunately not mine either, borrowed picture. I have also been unable to find one. Bill Porter posted a picture here with two grey ones. I tried to buy or trade for one with no luck. Any idea what's happening with his collection? Mike
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

No word on Bill's collection. I think I used one of Bill's gray scabbards for my book. Wouldn't sell or trade one to me either .
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a few more pictures of the GREEN VZ58 bayonet NBC scabbards along with a matching mag pouches and a belt/sling. One picture shows an assortment of markings and dates. Note that the oldest date, (1975), scabbard has slightly different stitching on the hilt strap.
I have found very little information on the GREY NBC gear. I would be very interested in any information and/or pictures of the GREY scabbard markings. One reference states the GREY ones were first ones made. A different reference states they were the last and still in use or held in reserve and that is why they are scarce. Mike
VZ58 bayonet with NBC scabbard and mag pouch.jpeg
VZ58 bayonet with NBC scabbard and mag pouch 2.jpeg
VZ58 bayonet with NBC scabbard and sling.jpeg
VZ58 bayonet with NBC scabbard and sling.jpeg (59.75 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
VZ58 bayonet with NBC scabbard and mag pouch 3.jpeg
VZ58 bayonet with NBC scabbard and mag pouch 3.jpeg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Another picture showing details and military acceptance markings of the grey and green NBC scabbards. Mike
Chech VZ58 1 (5).jpg