Czech VZ58 Type II Bayonet and Scabbard

Czech VZ58 Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Czech VZ58 Type II Bayonet and Scabbard

Post by Mr. B. »

A couple years after the start of VZ58 Type I bayonet a new revised version was designed and accepted. This new Type II version was made by casting instead of forging and required much less machining. The area at the top of the cross guard at the front of the mounting slot by the catch was strengthened. The bottom of the cross guard was extended to provide a more secure hand grip when attaching to the rifle or when used as a knife. The lightening hole in the tang hilt was enlarged the make up for the added metal.

Also the one piece wood grip was replaced by a pair of molded plastic type material reinforced with wood chips. These grip panels were the same shape as the original when installed. They were much more resistant to damage and easier and cheaper to make. Again, they were supplied by a sub-contractor. The interior sides of the panels were molded to fit the hilt requiring no rivet holes for positioning. As originally designed they were to be attached by adhesive only, no rivets. However this was soon changed as the glue joint was weak and complaints about the poor hand grip on the smooth exterior. The design and production was modified to add two rivets and four washers to secure the grip panels. These were the same washers and rivets used on the Type I bayonet. The location of the washers and rivets was added to the factory specifications and remained in the same locations throughout the Type II and III production simplifying the installation. Mike
VZ58 Type II 6.jpg
VZ58 Type II 5.jpg
VZ58 Type II 4.jpg
VZ58 Type II 2.jpg
VZ58 Type II 3.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Czech VZ58 Type II Bayonet and Scabbard

Post by Mr. B. »

With the change to produce the new revised Type II bayonet the Type I was to be ultimately replaced in use. However as the Type I bayonets were turned in for inspection and repair, it was decided to officially modify them to revised specifications to extend their use. The one piece wood grip was to be replaced with the new Type II molded plastic grips using glue plus rivets and washers as specified on the Type II. As a side note the wood furniture on the early VZ58 rifles was to be replaced at the same time with new molded plastic components. Uniformity in appearance of the military weapons was important as well as functionality.

As a side note, an unofficial story is that wood chips used in the new plastic grip panels came from all the old wood grips and rifle furniture. Whether from actually reducing them to chips or just using the chips from making them in the past is unknown.

There is some confusion in the grip panels used for this modification. One source indicated that the replacement grip panels were specifically molded to fit the Type I hilt. Others believe, as I do, that they simply modified the grips panels already molded for the Type II hilts. This required the removal by grinding the front part of the interior molding. I have never seen evidence of panels molded for just the Type I and the samples I have seen are modified Type II panels. Further proof is that the Type II armorer's lit contained only the Type II grip panels. Mike
Last edited by Mr. B. on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are pictures of the Type I bayonet as modified to type II specifications using Type II molded plastic grip panels. New original Type II grip panels are shown for comparison with panels modified to be used on the Type I bayonet hilt tang. the front part of the interior filler has been cut, ground or sanded to fit the lightening hole on the tang. Mike
VZ58 Type I Late Version Rework 1.jpg
VZ58 Type I Late Version Rework 7.jpg
VZ58 Type II vs Type I Rework Grip Panels.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Mr. B. wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:30 am Here are pictures of the Type I bayonet as modified to type II specifications using Type II molded plastic grip panels. New original Type II grip panels are shown for comparison with panels modified to be used on the Type I bayonet hilt tang. the front part of the interior filler has been cut, ground or sanded to fit the lightening hole on the tang. Mike
VZ58 Type I Late Version Rework 1.jpgVZ58 Type I Late Version Rework 7.jpgVZ58 Type II vs Type I Rework Grip Panels.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is the only official modification of the VZ58 Type II bayonet. This variation is a result of an attempted to up grade the Type II bayonet to Type III standards and appearance. This was done by welding a pre-formed metal extension on the short hilt tang. This extended the metal hilt tang and pommel plus provided a mounting, locating hole for new Type III grip panels. Once the welds were ground smooth and the new grip panels installed using the rivets in the standard positions it looks just like a Type III bayonet. This project was soon discontinued due to the expense. New Type III bayonets were easier and cheaper to mass produce.

These modified bayonets are rare and difficult to identify. Without removing the grips, all that can be seen are evidence of welding and grinding on the top and bottom of the hilt tang where the weld was made. Pictures are borrowed as I do not have an example. Mike
VZ58 Type 1 & II modified hilt 1.jpg
Scan_20201108 (4).png
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I finally acquired a Czech VZ58 Type II bayonet and scabbard with the hilt modified by welding a metal extension on the on the short original tang. The original Type II grips were removed, a pre-cut metal piece was welded on the existing short tang and new Type III grip panels were installed. Only a few of these were made as a trial. They are difficult to find as they look like a regular Type II or III unless you see where the welds were made and ground smooth. Note that the grip rivets are in the standard positions for the Type II and III original bayonets.
Mike
CZ58 TYPE II Modified hilt 8 (2).jpg
CZ58 TYPE II Modified hilt 7 (2).jpg
CZ58 TYPE II Modified hilt 4.jpg
CZ58 TYPE II Modified hilt 3.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some close-up pictures of the modified Type II with the welds. Mike
CZ58 TYPE II Modified hilt 5 (2).jpg
CZ58 TYPE II Modified hilt 6 (2).jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Note: I would still like to find a VZ58 Type I bayonet with a official modified welded on hilt to complete my Czech collection. If anyone knows of one for sale or trade please let me know. Mike