Bulgarian AKM Type II

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Hombre

Bulgarian AKM Type II

Post by Hombre »

Got two for me new bayonets in the mail today... Here is the first one which I thin is Bulgarian AKM Type II Bayonet... Maybe a silly question but I have to ask... Why have they renumber the bayonet?

Best,
Stefan
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Hombre

Re: Bulgarian AKM Type II

Post by Hombre »

...and here is one more picture...

Best,
Stefan
6.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

You are correct. A unique example of a Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard with the correct strap and hanger. This one is unique as it has two sets of matching issue numbers. The manufacture of the bayonet and scabbard are done separately and they are combined, (paired) later. The issue numbers are done by machine later when the are matched with and share numbers with a rifle. This is done for inventory and issue control during storage and use.
Any time a part, (rifle, bayonet or scabbard), is replaced for any reason, numbers are added/changed to make them match again. This is known as "forced matched" numbers). This can be due to replacement, recall, upgrades inspection, rework, re-conditioning, loss or damage, etc.. This make the item less desirable for a collector as they are no longer "original, as made and issued". The forced matched numbers can be done by anyone at any time, easy to fake.
The bayonet and scabbard above were originally matched to an AKM rifle with a serial number ending with 3859. For some unknown reason it was turned in. It would have then been inspected and approved for reissue as needed. This could have been at the time the new AK74 rifles were replacing the AKMs in front line service. This bayonet may well have been matched with a different reconditioned AKM rifle, (last 4 numbers 4791), for reserve storage or reissue. The numbers are original in style and placement. It may also have been reissued to one of the new AK74 rifles. They fit and for some reason Bulgaria was slow in producing the new AK74 6X5 bayonets and scabbards. They even went so far as to paint reworked 6X4 bayonets black to match the new rifles and bayonets. They also bought surplus East German AKM 6X4 Type II bayonets and scabbards to renumber and issue with their new AK74 rifles rather than making more bayonets.
Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Normally mismatched and renumbered would be less desirable and something to upgrade when you get a chance. But as Mike said, both of your number pairs match...so I think that is actually quite nice, and not a negative at all. Nice piece.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree with Brian. I always prefer either original matching numbers or no numbers at all, (unissued). But, for example I have an East German AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard with three sets of matching numbers. It has the original matching E.G. numbers. It was then acquired by Bulgaria who installed matching renumbered in the Bulgy style and placement. At some point in time a third set of matching numbers were installed. The style and placement are unusual.
They could be Bulgy or perhaps even by yet another country.
This bayonet and scabbard can be seen on this Forum under Bulgaria, Bulgarian AKM Type II painted black.
Mike
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Thank you so very much guys for your help! I really appreciate it and I learn new things in every post! :)

Best,
Stefan