New Member Introductions

For the Discussion of Anything Off-Topic

Moderator: Mr. B.

MDIvie

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by MDIvie »

NICO56 welcome on board. Your first two posts are certainly interesting. Now have to figure out how to get access to Algerian bayonets and white painted Soviet AK47 bayonets.

Martin
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Welcome NIC056
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Welcome on board NIC056.
Having spent the best part of the last 25 years working in Algeria, often with the Algerian Army or Gendarmes. During that time, I have never seen an Algerian soldier with a bayonet, except in photos, when they are used for parade purposes.

The last unit I worked with last year, was a special forces unit down near the Libyan border and again I never saw any of them with a bayonet.

Getting military equipment out of Algeria is nigh impossible, due to their strict laws and regulations concerning any military equipment, which is strictly enforced due to the Islamic terrorist insurgency that ranged throughout the country during the 1990's/ 2000's, and the more recent resurgence of the Islamic terrorist threat in southern Algeria.

Stay safe
Richard
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Richard,

Since you didn't have one of these I figured that was the case.
Hope you are well.

Martin
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

Hello Members,

I’ve been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now, thought I should introduce myself. I’m Lance, From Washington State. I’ve been collecting Militaria for 20+ years. Bayonets have always held a level of importance in my collection. I’ve accumulated around 40-50 Kalashnikov Bayonets. I’m currently working on expanding that collection. I look forward to interacting with the forum. Thanks!
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Hi Lance,
Welcome to the forum.
Looking foreward to learn more about your collection! :-)
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Welcome to the group Lance
Jc22

Post by Jc22 »

Hello ! I m french..the brother of " marco" a great collector of ak and akm bayonets . I m very happy to join you and the greateast Martin d Ivie. The bible for me and for my beginning on this domaine. Friendly
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Brian
- Admin -
Michaelj607

Post by Michaelj607 »

Good morning, afternoon,and or evening to all.
My name is Michael Speakman I am a Corpsman/Surgical Technician and a collector of military gear. I've been collecting bits and ends for years.From firearms from all period of history and many geographical locations, to gas masks, knives, and other bits and ends and now have set my sights on AK bayonets which have been amazingly fun to research. I already love collecting Soviet items as I was and am a WW2/Cold War history buff and the first real thing I owned from WW2 Was a Mosin Nagant which came with all the accessories. Anyways I might as well throw this in here, I found you all as I was researching ak bayonets for my friend.He wanted to Sharpen a Bayonet his now deceased Father brought back from the Gulf. I told him hold on that and sharpening might ruin it especially if you sharpen it wrong. He intends to put a double bevel "v" style edge on it. I don't own any ak bayonets yet but I do know not all bayonets are intended to be sharp .Furthermore what I have seen of ak Bayonets( in pictures at least)is that they appear Chisel ground. Is that accurate? Alot of places on the internet say they are just dull. Or blunt. I'm not sure that's accurate. Figured this would be the best place to ask, Before my friend ruined/devalued a piece if history. Thank you all.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi MichaelS, Welcome to the Forum. I'll answer your question about sharpening an AK bayonet. DON"T! It only tends to weaken them and ruin their value as a collectable! If you want a hunting or camping knife buy one. Even a cheap one is better than a bayonet.
They are designed for stabbing, chopping and cutting wire. They are mass produced as a low cost fighting tool. When mounted on a rifle they are no more than a point of a spear. The blades are not designed for skinning, slicing or dicing. The blades from the factory are sharpen as part of production. All three edges, main, false and wire cutter are chisel sharpened by machine. The blades nick easily and are often resharpened to military specifications during inspection and reworking. Again this is simple chisel sharpening. This re-sharpening often changes the profile of the blade and ruins the finish..
The AK bayonet blades are made and finished to withstand corrosion, not designed to hold an edge.
Regards, Mike
Michaelj607

Post by Michaelj607 »

That's what I thought that's why I told him to hold off. Didnt want to ruin something historical
smordant

Post by smordant »

I'm Mik (Mic) a Brit who lives in the US, first Washington State then Californian desert and recently Pennsylvania.

Always interested in military subjects, always willing to learn new stuff. Daughter gave me AK bayonet and found this forum when trying to find details, great place and I hope to increase my knowledge. Knowing me I might get the bug and collect more (wife rolls eyes).
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Mik,

Warning! Stop while you can. One AK bayonet often leads to more. It’s like eating just one chip out of a bag. BTW …. Get used to the eye rolls too. It never stops. I still get it after 60 years.
Welcome aboard! Cheers, Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Welcome. We are a quiet group, having reached some limits of what we can find out, but it's a fun hobby and some nice people here. Enjoy
Brian
- Admin -