Why?

AK Bayonets from China

Moderator: Mr. B.

kstim

Why?

Post by kstim »

Just curious, new collector. From my understanding from M Ivie's book and from various internet sources, the only Chinese ak bayonet (actually a variant) used by their military was the Type 81. All of the others, including the so called AK 47's were produced commercially to sell to (primarily) American collectors. So why do people want so much money for them? While I am new to the AK field, I have been collecting militaria for almost 50 years. One fact is that anything made to collect is in the end not collectible. I put these bayonets in the category of fakes, replicas, fantasy pieces, whatever. But as far as I am concerned, they have no collector value at all. Personal preference. If a soldier used it, I like it. If somebody just churned it out to sell, I won't pay a dime for it.
Mr. B.

Re: Why?

Post by Mr. B. »

Good question. The Chinese did make there own version of the Russian AK47 and the AK47 bayonet. The Chinese version was the Type 56. The early ones had the fittings to mount the AK47 bayonets. However the Chinese military may not have adopted them. The Chinese Military, (PLA), instead adopted a version of the Type 56 with a permanently installed folding spike bayonet. The early blade type AK47 bayonets were apparently issued and used by the Chinese militia and police. Below is a picture of an early Type 56, (milled receiver), with an AK 47 bayonet. Note the non-PLA uniform. The second picture is the Chinese Type 56 with the later AKM stamped receiver and the folding spike bayonet. Note the PLA uniform. Mike
s-l1600.jpg
Chinese AKM Spike.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

However your question is valid. the Chinese mass produced the Type 56 at several different arsenals and in both the AK47 and AKM versions. Many were made for export and sold and traded to many other countries. The AK47 blade type bayonets and scabbards that are commonly found came with new production, (reproductions?) of the early Type 56s made for export sales and the collectors market. Many were imported to the USA in a semi-automatic version and came with a bayonet. The bayonets are unmarked and impossible to identify as early or much later production as they used the same specs and equipment. Surplus old stock or replicas?
Some of the newer AKM versions of the Chinese Type 56 were made with the fitting to mount the AKM Type I and II bayonets. Several of the Chinese manufacture made up there own version of the Type II bayonets and scabbards. They were non-wire cutter versions and without saw teeth. Again these rifles and bayonets were made up for export sales/trades. Although the were not adopted by the PLA they could have been used by the internal Chinese various para military and police units as well as foreign military forces. Many semi-auto versions were imported to the USA complete with these bayonets. They are not really replicas of anything, Just made up to go with the rifles for export. They are limited in quantities and have increased in value over the years as the become scarce. Collectable? Matter of choice. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

FYI .... Technically the Type 81 bayonet and subsequent models, although they may be PLA military issue, are not true Kalashnikov bayonets. The rifles are not a Kalashnikov design and the bayonets will not mount on any true Kalashnikov rifles. They are in a class with the Czech VZ58 and Indian INSAS bayonets, etc.. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The Chinese NDM-86 AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet & scabbards are an almost exact copy of the other ComBloc Type II bayonets. The Chinese produced an exact copy of the Russian SVD Dragunov sniper rifle complete with accessories including the bayonet. The Russian SVD was issued with the standard Kalashnikov bayonets and scabbards. The Chinese military and other units also used the NDM-86 rifles, but it is unknown if they were ever issued the bayonets. They were made along with the rifles for export and semi-auto versions were imported to the USA. These Type II Chinese bayonets mount on any ComBloc Kalashnikov rifle. Very small numbers were produced and they are hard to find. Made for the rifle collectors market, probably. Made for the bayonet collectors market, probably not. A lot of time and expense to make them, that makes them collectible to me. They are a military style bayonet that will mount on most AKs, even if not officially issued. Mike
kstim

Post by kstim »

I am probably just po'd because I have a semi auto Chinese import AK years ago, complete with bayonet, and sold it way too cheap!
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

The ban on importing Chinese AK's really has driven up the Chinese AK bayonet market. I am not sure they are banned too, or are just not imported in large quantities because no rifles are being imported.

Mr. B.

I have blown up the top picture and examined it and I am not at all certain the bayonet is a standard AK47 type bayonet. Something is weird about it.
MDI
kstim

Post by kstim »

Broke down and bought one. Anyone surprised? :lol:
kstim

Post by kstim »

Martin, are you looking at the second picture? I see some weirdness too-- the grip looks right for an AK 47 but to my eye, the blade seems too long, and almost looks like a spike shape rather than the spear point fullered ak blade? I guess could be shadows or just picture quality?
kstim

Post by kstim »

Oops, sorry just noticed, that is the folding bayonet. Will shut up now.