Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Type II Original Variations

Bulgarian AK bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Type II Original Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are seven original Bulgarian 6X4 Type II bayonets and scabbards from my collection showing a number of variations. As the picture shows there are an infinite variety of colors/shades. I will start with the differences in the molded arsenal marks in the grips. All the Bulgy bayonets I have encountered have the double circle number 10 molded on the surface of the grip. Differences are large and small, right or left side and upright or inverted. M.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Type II Original Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

The original Bulgarian AKM 6X4 scabbards are relatively unmarked. However there are some minor differences. Most noticeable are the back side welds of the cutter plate pivot post. Some are left as welded, others are ground smooth before being finished. Most scabbards seem to have no mold marks, I have ones with a small number 1, 2, and 3 between the ridges on the back side. There is also a differences in the molding as some have a raised ridge on the scabbard side, others have a slight indention there. The Bulgarian scabbards are usually identified by the flat top cutter pivot and the placement and style of the stamped white and black paint/ink proof marks. M.
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The original Bulgarian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonets also had a mold numbers on the grips similar to the Russian ones. There seems to be an endless combination of numbers so I disregard them. However the Bulgarians did use a wide variety of methods to add serial numbers on bayonets and scabbards. The most common are hand etched 4 digit numbers on the left side of the grip and the front of the scabbard above the cutter plate. Pictured below are the typical original numbers and one that has had a scabbard replaced. M.
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some less common methods of numbering on original Bulgarian AKM 6X3 bayonets and scabbards. First is the typical 4 digit hand etched number but with a 2 letter prefix. Next are machine engraved block style 4 digit numbers and last is small die stamped 4 digit numbers. M.
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The original Bulgarian AKM 6X3 Type II hangers are all pretty much the same with brown leather and natural metal hook, ring, connector and rivets. the wrist straps are also pretty much the same brown leather with large flat natural rivets. Pictured below are a couple exceptions. One is a typical one, another has a natural tan leather strap and the third one a smaller bright domed rivet. M.
Attachments
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG