Different pommel AKM

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

NICO56

Different pommel AKM

Post by NICO56 »

I just got this Izhevsk bayonet on which we can see that the little line at the top of the pommel, I don't know the exact term in English, is much shorter than on the other models. Have you ever seen such a difference before? According to the seller, she is from Chad.
Attachments
IMG_20201229_124328.jpg
IMG_20201229_124335.jpg
ilian

Re: Different pommel AKM

Post by ilian »

first type of production of this kind of scale ;)
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I disagree with ilion. I believe it maybe a later made grip panel produced by an arsenal or sub contractor for rework / replacement usage. This bayonet is a late production one with the angular cross guard hook. the original number on the left side has been removed and the paint touched up during rework. Most likely the grip panels have been replaced.
I checked all my Russian 6X3 bayonets and found a couple similar grips on reworked bayonets. However I also found many other small differences in the way the grip panels were molded. Hundreds if not thousands of molds used over the production years at both arsenals or even sub contractors. After new 6X3 production ended, the grip molding and equipment were probably farmed out to other companies to mold replacement panels as needed. That small difference in the ridge on the left side of the pommel was a pretty minor visual difference. Mike
NICO56

Post by NICO56 »

Thank you for your answers. Indeed, it shows signs of remaking. The glue between the two plates and the resin that covers the screws
Attachments
IMG_20210105_105719.jpg
IMG_20210105_105712.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I think Ilian was talking about the top one...the so-called "square round back"
Still much debated. There was a conclusion they were replaced handles, but then the release of that Russian document saying they are indeed the early ones.
Brian
- Admin -