East German AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet Modified Pommel

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

East German AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet Modified Pommel

Post by Mr. B. »

This is an East German AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet with an "officially" modified pommel. Pictures of this modification can be found in several reference books. The ones I have seen have been on both East German and Hungarian 6x3 bayonets. The modification consists of removing all or part of the rounded ridges above the latch. Sometimes small points are left at the front, (to insure a better hand grip?), or just ground flat. I am not sure of the reason for this modification. Some belief it is a field repair or rework for broken or chipped pommels. Others, myself included, believe for them to be able to mount on AK74 style weapons or other AKs with unusual front sight bases or muzzle extensions. Not sure why the Hungarians would produce a new version as they did not convert to 6X4 or 6X5 bayonets or AK74 rifles? Below is the modified East German AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet in my collection with a modified Type II scabbard that I display to show the most common "official" modifications. No, they are not matching and did not come together, I show them together just to conserve display space. M.
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: East German AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet Modified Pommel

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is an example of this modification that was left flat on top. M.
3076621_2_4cfbbbdad3c90.jpg
3076621_2_4cfbbbdad3c90.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 25583 times
3076621_3_4cfbbbdad4c03.jpg
3076621_3_4cfbbbdad4c03.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 25583 times
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

I have heard these were modified to go on the SVD sniper rifles. How true that is, I have no idea and I have not tried to mount an unmodified 6X3 on and SVD so I don't know that there is a problem with that.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

First time I've heard about the SVD being involved. I do believe I've seen reference to early Russian SVD rifles with 6X3 bayonets though. I do not have access to a SVD to confirm it either. I do have a Romanian PSL which is a SVD clone and it mounts a 6X3 with no issues. I do know that the 6X3 will not mount on an AK74 style rifles with the mounting stud on the front sight base. The AK74 FSB has a retaining pin lug under the FSB in front of the bayonet lug which interferes. I'll try to find or take pictures. Mike
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

MIke,

I have several AK74's and know exactly the issue you are referring to. I just can't see anyone issuing a 6X3 for use with an AK74 based on the timelines but they may have. A Romanian PSL is by no means an SVD clone. A PSL or FPK depending on which terminology you choose to use is an up-sized AK made larger to handle the 7.62x54R cartridge (I have owned several over the years)and is more similar to a Yugoslav Model 77 (another up-sized AK design). The SVD is a totally different design and is perhaps closer to the Model 41 Tokarev in some ways than it is to a PSL. The main confusion stems from the similarity in the skeletonized stocks both use and the fact both are chambered for the 7.62x54R. I'll be able to check an SVD with a 6X3 bayonet in a month or so. However from photos I can't see any reason the 6X3 would need to be modified to work on it. In fact found a photo of an SVD with an unmodified 6X3 mounted. I'd post the picture if I could remember how in this forum.

MDI
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have a Russian SVD, will try a 6x3 bayo on it over the weekend.
Brian
- Admin -
ilian

Post by ilian »

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Nice picture! Whether that is a Russian Dragunov (SVD) or a Chinese copy it proves a Russian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet will mount.

MDI … note that The SVD and PSL FSB/compensator share the same bayonet mounting dimensions. I believe chronologically both the SVD, (1963), and PSL, (1974), were introduced when their respective countries were issuing/using 6X3 Type I style bayonets, ergo the same mounts. Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

On the same note...I had a Izhmash deact SVD (modern style) at work that we imported from them years ago, and a 6x3 would not fit that one.
So I'm thinking there was some change in the lug at some point.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I was checking references for this modification and found this one in a Russian collectors book. From the pictures this one appears a little more crude and looks like the top of the grip mid-section was also reduced. There is Russian text with the picture, but I am unable to translate it at this time. Mike
Scan_20180821 (4).jpg
Scan_20180821 (5).jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Could the modified pommel have been done to fit on the East German Wieger StG 940 rifles? They appear to have a separate barrel ring with a bayonet mounting stud. These rifles were produced for trails and export between 1985 -90. They were also used by the Stasi and other special units. Perhaps modifying some of the existing stocks of 6X3s to fit, there were a lot left over even after the unification. Mike
0_dde97_8dd0db7b_XL.jpg
ilian

Post by ilian »

I don't think because they already had the Modell 59/2 in dotation
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

You are correct. They were already producing and issuing the AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard for the AKM and AK-74 weapons. The Wieger system was for trials and primarily for export. It was designed to converted the AK system to 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition. The DDR did not adopt the change and the Wieger production was sold commercially. Perhaps it would make sense to use remaining stock of old style bayonets if a customer wanted bayonets? Maybe a few were modified as a feasibility study or for the few that the DDR used for special units and/or Stasi? Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

On this same subject, The text with the modification pictured in the Russian reference posted above has been translated. The title is:

"Title: Bayonet (Model of 1959), remaked for using with AK-74" Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

i found this picture

But i think that both Modell59/1 and 59/2 could fit.
Attachments
East German Wieger_stg_941.jpg
East German Wieger_stg_941.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 25378 times
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

True, the 59/2 (AKM 6X4 Type II) would obviously mount on both rifles above as both were probably designed for it. However it would depend on the dimension of the bayonet stud mount and barrel ring on the StG 90 for the 59/1 (AKM 6X3 Type I) to mount. The diameter of the barrel ring and area the where the bayonet stud meets the ring may have interfered with the 59/1 pommel ears resulting in the need remove part of the pommel. Following normal practices, the barrel ring would be secured to the barrel with a cross pin. The area where the pin is located may be to wide for the rear of the 59/1 pommel ears to clear. Mike
0_dde8e_5d1ada7d_XL (3).jpg
0_dde8e_5d1ada7d_XL (3).jpg (20.09 KiB) Viewed 25375 times
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This post is from an original post by Carlos in the "General Discussion" section under "AK Bayonet Discussion" where he had posted "My AK Bayonet Collection". 25 July 2021. Due to the pictures and details I thought they belonged here.
"Anyway, here are my EG mods. The bottom one is not in good shape and has a piece chipped of the lip around the release button, but it was the first one I ever got and the only one available at the time, which I believe was around 1998".
East German AKM 6X3 Type I and II with modified pommel 1.jpg
East German AKM 6X3 Type I and II with modified pommel 2.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Re: My AK bayonet collection
Post by CarlosC » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:40 am

Hi Mr. B. Please go ahead and move the bayonets to the East German section.

As for markings:
Type 1 with the plastic scabbard - the number 2V9107 is electro penciled on the bayonet in the groove that slides onto the bayonet lug, in typical East German numbering style. A "2" or "Z" is stamped on one side of the bayonet crossguard. The flat spot behind the mortise on the left grip also has an impression, but I can't make it out. The scabbard only has the last three digits of the serial number etched on the wire cutter attachment slope and they match the bayonet. The number "1" is the European stylized "1" with the long tail at the top of the number, while the "7" has the bar through it. A circle "B" is also stamped on the wire cutter attachment. Both of these markings are on the flat side opposite the anvil. There is a circle "K" stamped on same side of the scabbard, in the plastic, with a "2" or "Z" 15mm next to it.

The Type 1 with the metal scabbard - the number 175733 is electro penciled on the bayonet in the groove that slides onto the bayonet lug, as above. The crossguard is stamped with a circle "K". This bayonet also has an impression on the flat spot behind the mortise on the left grip and it's either circle "2" or "Z". The scabbard has no number. This scabbard's wire cutter attachment is stamped with a circle "M" on the flat spot, opposite the anvil. The only other marking is a circle "K" on the sleeve itself next to and touching one of the rivets used to attach the sleeve to the wire cutter. The rubber insulator is molded with 5998 on it. The grips on this bayonet are unusual in that they are your typical smooth, black plastic. Instead, they have a rough texture all over. There is a little chip missing on the fence around the release button, but the button works perfectly.

I do not know why or how they were modified, and honestly, I forgot I even had them until nine years ago.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Carlos, Very interesting bayonets and scabbards plus a unique hanger. Pommels with identical modification on both an early and late variation of the East German (DDR) AKM 6X3 bayonets. Thanks for all the detailed information and markings. It would be nice to find out someday why and when this modification was made.
Thanks, Mike
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

Mr. B. wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:36 am I was checking references for this modification and found this one in a Russian collectors book. From the pictures this one appears a little more crude and looks like the top of the grip mid-section was also reduced. There is Russian text with the picture, but I am unable to translate it at this time. Mike

Scan_20180821 (4).jpgScan_20180821 (5).jpg
I'm going to give the translation a shot. This is a pretty literal translation with my clarifications in (). Best I could do...

BAYONETS FOR KALASHNIKOV ASSAULT RIFLES

German Democratic Republic

Bayonet mod. 1959, modified for AK-74

Total Length: 326mm
Blade Length: 150mm
Blade Width: 30mm
Inner diameter of the ring in the cross: 17.5mm

Blade: steel, straight, single-edged. The combat end is double-edged, with a concave blade on the butt side. On the butt of the blade there is a notch in the form of teeth, which allows using the bayonet as a saw. In the front part of the blade there is a rectangular hole, which allows the bayonet to be attached to the scabbard and use the structure as nippers (wire cutters).

Handle: formed by two plastic pieces of black color, glued together with the blade held by two screws. In the handle head (pommel) there is a T-shaped groove and a spring latch with an internal coil spring.

Crosspiece: steel, blued, with a ring on the side of the blade.

Scabbard: steel. The upper part of the scabbard is covered with a rubber insulator, designed to be wrapped around by the hand when cutting wires under tension. The hanging strap is made of tarpaulin (canvas).

Bayonet from the collection of K. Baryshnikov