North Korean AKM Variation #1

North Korean AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

North Korean AKM Variation #1

Post by Mr. B. »

This is a North Korean AKM bayonet with a green colored fabric hanger. M.
Attachments
IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2453.JPG
RPBCPS

Re: North Korean AKM Variation #1

Post by RPBCPS »

Here are some photos of my NK AKM bayonet which I bought from a veteran, who told me he had recovered it in Panama during Operation Just Cause.

P1130602.JPG
P1130604.JPG
P1130603.JPG
P1130605.JPG

It is used and abused, but as a combat veteran myself, I appreciate that look.... :-)
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very nice with an interesting history. The original theory that the different colors of the webbing indicated a difference in whether the bayonets were for internal use or for export. To me that did not seem logical and I have seen both green and tan web hangers come from various sources, both from veterans and importers. The North Koreans manufactured large quantities of these bayonets. They are a relative simple and inexpensive item to make, especially the scabbard, so why would they bother to make a color difference to differentiate between what they issued or exported. Maybe a difference in early verse latter production or just a matter of what color webbing was available at the time?
Mike
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Mike,
Thanks for that feedback.
Perhaps there was more than one factory making them in North Korea, so that was the source of the colour difference?
Richard