Unusual East German ?? AK Bayonet

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

milcollector

Unusual East German ?? AK Bayonet

Post by milcollector »

I recently acquired what I believe is an East German AK bayonet (pictures attached) however I have never seen one like it and can't find any references to it. It has no wire cutter ability, either as part of the scabbard or as part of the blade. Also, the back of the blade has no saw teeth. I can't find any markings on it. Is it East German, does it have anymore value than the normal ones you run across, and does it use the web or leather hanger? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_5154.jpg
IMG_5153.jpg
Dragur2791

Re: Unusual East German ?? AK Bayonet

Post by Dragur2791 »

What you got in front of you is a common black chinese commercial pre ban bayonet. For some reason the former owner thought it should have an EG rubber insulator installed on it.
Apart from the funny mismatch of parts it looks to be a nice looking black chinese.
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Also the chinese commercial bayonets has never been sold with usual leather hangers or fabric straps. They came only with a metal belt clip hanger. The metal belt clip hangers are actually more rare than the actual bayonets to some degree.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Imported many Chinese AK's from Norinco etc during the 90's, and also bayonets on their own...not one ever came with those metal clips that are so frequently bragged about. I have my doubts they were ever for the bayos, since they were commercial bayonets and not for issue anyways.
Or someone at a Chinese factory threw them in just for the hell of it.
If I were you, I'd remove the rubber insulator that doesn't belong, and then you have a Chinese commercial AKM bayo.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree with Alexander and Brian. The bayonet and scabbard are a commercial Chinese AKM version. The rubber scabbard insulator is East German for use on a AKM 6X3 Type I scabbard. They do not belong together. No hanger was ever designed or made for these bayonets. Only a small metal belt clip was included at times.
I disagree with Brian about the Chinese Belt clips. Many of the legal Chinese AKM rifle copies that were imported to the USA included versions of this bayonet and scabbard and most that I owned or inspected included the belt clip. Some packaged with the bayonet or packaged with the sling or other components. There is a picture on this Forum of one packaged with a sling. Listed under "China" Chinese AKM Belt Clips. Much later when I was looking for belt clips to add to my collection, I purchased 2 separate bayonets with belt clips in sealed packages that were imported separetly. Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My point is that those were likely never intended as belt clips. My ex boss in the arms industry was a Chinese diplomat, and we imported directtly from China. I expect at some point someone in the USA told the exporters "we want frogs or belt clips" or something, and then the Chinese started throwing those into the parcels. Something they had lying around.
Either way, not important. Since they were never military issue anywhere, it's all moot :-)
Nice to have as they were supplied that way.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Point taken and I agree. Either poorly designed or never intended for wearing / carrying any bayonet. From the first time I saw them, I tried to figure them out without success. Dealers / Buyers of the rifles with bayonets often literally threw them in the trash. As a collector I now consider them a legitimate accessory to display with the bayonets. Actually, these Chinese bayonets do not meet the criteria I set for my collection, but somehow, they sneak in there. Complete with the variations of the belt clip / hangers.
PS: I still need one more belt clip to complete my display. A parkerized / phosphate finished one would be nice! MIke