Egyptian AKM 6X4 Type II Bayonet W/O Sawteeth

Egyptian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Egyptian AKM 6X4 Type II Bayonet W/O Sawteeth

Post by Mr. B. »

One of our new members, Marco, recently posted pictures of an Egyptian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet with a Type I scabbard. It was originally posted under "General Discussion - AK Bayonet Discussion - My Bests". It appears to be a very interesting and unusual variation as it is without saw teeth. I have taken the liberty of adding it here so that it can be discussed and compared to other Egyptian bayonets. Mike

"Two pictures of a maadi with a white rubber and no sawteeth." Marco
100_2482.JPG
100_2483.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Egyptian AKM 6X4 Type II Bayonet W/O Sawteeth

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a couple more pictures posted by Marco. Mike

"My Maadi without saw" Marco

100_2495.JPG
100_2491.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I have never seen this variation and find it very interesting. I would like to see more detailed pictures, especially of the Arabic numbers on the bayonet crossguard. They appear to be there, but difficult to read. They do not appear to be matching with the ones on the scabbard. They do however appear to be consistent with the style and placement with other Egyptian bayonets and scabbards. Does anyone else have any knowledge or documentation of this variation? Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Logic suggests that unless it is modified, the parts (at least the blade) must have been supplied by Poland. Hmmm....needs some research into the beginning of Maadi production.
Brian
- Admin -
ilian

Post by ilian »

I have one too
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I thought I had one, but everyone here thought it was Polish!? Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

For me it's just an egyptian bayonet with an unfinished blade (end of production to use spare parts).
ilian

Post by ilian »

Photos of one i own :-)
Attachments
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2917.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

A very nice example of whatever it is!? Almost too nice to be Egyptian production. The blade is much better made and does appear to be Polish. Same with the crossguard. I believe that the assemble was imported to Egypt from either Poland or another ComBloc country and made cheaper by eliminating the saw teeth. The brown grip appears similar to other later Egyptian production. The molded edges are more rounded and not as crisp as others. Also note the sloppy glue/filler where the grip meets the crossguard, typical Egyptian. The pommel seems a little nicer than most, perhaps early production? But also note that the pommel retaining screw has been crudely sawn or cut off on the left side, again typical. The scabbard also seems to be imported from another country. It has a shorter body and the machined cutter plate not found on the ones made in Egypt. The light-colored rubber insulator may also be imported as it is a cleaner mold than the usual black Egyptian ones. I have also seen these gray/tan insulators on the Egyptian made scabbards. To me they seem like the Romanian ones. Perhaps this is because I have Egyptian bayonets that appear to use Romanian sawteeth blades. Different contours and grinding finishes. Also note that the hanger appears more Romanian than Egyptian. Both in materials and construction.
So what is it? Any one else have any thoughts, beliefs, opinions or information? Mr. B.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I categorize bayonets and scabbards like these as, "Frankenstein", bayonets. Made and assembled from parts and pieces supplied by different countries and issued/used by yet other countries. If anyone has ever studied the Communist doctrine at the time they were made, the military arms production was designed to be as interchangeable as possible. All the bayonets and scabbards, etc. were made to the same basic specifications and interchangeable between the other ComBloc countries and those supplied by them. Either as complete assemblies or parts and pieces that were made from contacts or surplused from other countries. The same goes for the machinery used to make them in the first place. No end to possible combinations and little if any documentation or information is available.
The style and placement of numbers and other marking help identify a general area or country where they were issued/used, but they can be added at any time or place/country. Mr. B.
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

An Egyptian commissioned production for Libya.
Libya did not manufacture AK bayonets itself.
The following bayonets in the Libyan Army are known to me, Romanian 6X3 (M.59), Polish 6X4 (6H4).
The fact that this Egyptian MISR bayonet has a Romanian carrying device and the blade has no saw teeth should not come as a surprise, since it was certainly made and completed according to Libyan wishes.
The scabbard is the same length as all 6X3 scabbards
Attachments
Ägypten Lybien (1).JPG
Ägypten Lybien (2).JPG
Ägypten Lybien (4).JPG
Ägypten Lybien (3).JPG
Ägypten Lybien (5).JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Excellent information Gerhard! I agree that these bayonets and scabbards could easily have been made by Egypt for a contract to Libya. I would, however, question the cheaply made bayonet combined with a higher quality scabbard. The milled cutter plate in place of the cheaper stamped one. The seamless extruded metal body in place of the cheaper flattened welded tubing the Egyptians usually used. I would think the Egyptian ones would be the cheapest option to go with these bayonets. Did the Egyptians ever make the scabbards with milled cutter plates?
As you stated, Libya was not known to manufacture AK bayonets or scabbards. Could Libya or any other country have purchased parts or sub-assemblies from ComBloc countries and assembled / completed them themselves. Or even contracted another country, (Egypt?), to assemble them using the cheapest components obtainable at that time? Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

for eyes only :mrgreen:

Edit: i can't post the original picture... too wide ...

So a resized one.
Attachments
collection egyptian AKM bayonet resized.jpg