Russian and Bulgarian AK47 NOS Finds

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

LanceF250

Russian and Bulgarian AK47 NOS Finds

Post by LanceF250 »

I received these in the mail today as a lot. 3 Bulgarians and 1 Russian still in original wrapping and coated in cosmoline. The Russian has some markings unknow to me yet. maybe a poorly struck serial number in the location you would expect to see Bulgarian numbers? Russian numbers where they should be. Nice clean Izhevsk stamp. There is an acceptance mark <CB> on the opposite side. it's hard to see the markings clearly with all the cosmo, I may clean these up and take better pictures later.
01.png
02.png
03.png
04.png
05.png
LanceF250

Re: Russian and Bulgarian AK47 NOS Finds

Post by LanceF250 »

More pictures,
06.png
07.png
08.png
09.png
10.png
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

one more.
11.png
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very interesting assortment. It will be good to see them all cleaned up. From what I can see, the three on the left in the pictures are typical late issue Bulgarian AK47 bayonets and scabbards.
The one on the right appears to be a late issue Russian AK47 bayonet and scabbard. It has the Izhevsk arsenal mark and the Russian military acceptance mark. The curved 4-digit serial number is Russian in style and placement. The second set of stamped irregular numbers in a placement similar to Bulges is unusual. The Bulgy numbers are usually neater and more aligned!? Note that they have been individually "X"d out indicating that the remaining Russian numbers were probably used.
The scabbard appears to be late version Russian as well. The fabric hanger is Russian in color and weave. It will be confirmed when we see the attachment of the belt loop to the hilt strap. One concern is the absence(?) of a drain hole. Russian's front, Bulges rear? No drain hole is unusual, maybe it's just the pictures?
I look forward to seeing all of them cleaned up! Thanks for sharing.
Mike
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

Mike, thank you for taking a look. I had reservations about opening these up and cleaning them, however I'm glad I did. they turned out great. no stiff rotted leather, some discoloring to the hangers, but not bad, and may improve with additional effort.

The Bulgarians are very similar to each other, with one having a notable variation of the serial number engraving. As far as the Russian, it is just my pictures. there is indeed a drain hole on the front side of the scabbard. I was pleased to see the vinyl hilt strap.

as promised, here are some slightly better pictures.
12.png
13.png
14.png
15.png
16.png
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

17.png
18.png
19.png
20.png
21.png
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

22.png
23.png
24.png
25.png
26.png
LanceF250

Post by LanceF250 »

27.png
Here is the Russian with others in my collection. The Izhevsk on the right is a new addition.
28.png
29.png
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The last one is definitely a late issue Russian AK47, (6X2, 55-212), Everything appears correct except the addition of the crude, crossed out, stamped numbers. I have never seen that before and have no idea what they were for. Perhap an error at the arsenal? Training a new employee to stamp numbers? Someone's last day there? Mike
CarlosC

Post by CarlosC »

I have a similar Izhevsk where the original serial number was over-stamped with Cyrillic "G"s, then restamped with a new serial number. Mine followed a circuitous route to me...I bought it from a pawn shop in Hawaii specializing in Cambodian items, where the owner had personally bought it while in Bang Lung, Cambodia.

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Carlos, This restamped number makes sense, at least to me. Under close examination of the picture the original Russian number, (2794?), is in correct style and placement, following the curve of the pommel. For some unknown reason, (rework, reissue?), this bayonet was renumbered in the Russian style. Perhaps for surplus sale and exported to a different country. The original number was obliterated crudely "X"ed out, no attempt to be neat. The "g" is an actually a "9", (an inverted "6"). Just my humble opinion. Mike
InkedRussian AK47 bayonet reworked number_LI.jpg